Thursday, April 2, 2009

How To Reap The Benefits Of Excuses In Mountain Biking


In my last deep thoughts I examined the reasons why excuses can be beneficial in mountain biking by distancing yourself from responsibility.  In this episode I will tell you how to implement excuses in mountain biking for the best possible results.  Before you even start your race you need to have a planned out excuse strategy.  Start complaining about something that you can later use as an excuse for why you didn’t perform better in the race.  It’s the set up for the excuse.

The best place to announce your excuse is at the starting line of the race.  Pretend like you are having a conversation with the person next to you but speak loud enough so all your competitors can hear your complaint.

If another rider passes you on the course it is always a good idea to use an excuse as he or she passes

This lets the passing rider know that they are not actually better than you.

If you have a hard time thinking up excuses mid race write them down on the back of your number plate or on your stem.

After finishing the race go in for the kill; use your excuse that you set up before the race. Tell everyone!!!



Using excuses is always a good idea even if you had a good race use the an excuse to rub it in the face and belittled all your competitors (The more belittled they are the bigger you are in comparison).
I made this excuse wheel (this is just a prototype).  I'm thinking about selling them out of the back of my car at bike races.



2 comments:

Big Bikes said...

Spot on. And I, like so many others, am guilty of this practice. In fact, I can't wait to tell everyone at Burlingame Sunday about how I have 16 hours in my legs already and a possible distal biceps tendon rupture (self-diagnosed, thanks Wikipedia!).

-t

mike joos said...

That’s a good excuse. Very original. I will add that to my excuse wheel.

Seriously though i hope your arm gets better.

I think you’re right everyone is guilty of excuses, I know I am too. It only bugs me when hypothetical predictions are made.

“I could have done ______ if _______ didn’t happen “

or when the person is all dramatic or a sore looser about it.

-Good luck this weekend