Monday, June 29, 2009

Putney/West Hill Mtn. Bike Race, Putney VT 2009

Putney/West Hill Mtn. Bike Race, Putney VT

Race went good there was a big turn out in the men’s pro /cat 1 category (35 riders).
It had been raining a lot that week so the conditions were pretty muddy.   It was nice that the rain gave way just before the race

I was worried going into this race because I had sprained my wrist a couple weeks prior at the gym lifting. My wrist was weak and unable to move in certain directions. For the first week I had the problem I wasn’t able to ride my bike, turn the key in my car ignition or a door knob with my right hand.
  I started off 4th row and had a foot slip off the pedal so I was pretty far back probably 30th.  I passed a lot of people and was feeling good.  I caught up with Brent Mellen and we rode together for the last 2 laps we passed some more guys and finished together.  I came in 7th and Brent came in 8th.

Brent and I were planning on competing in the wildcat epic team stage race mid June in the Catskills of NY but due to lack of registered entries the race organizers called it off.  We were both bummed, we would have made a good team.


The winner of the race Kevin Hines is the masters national champion @ 49 year old!!... I really hope to be still be competitively fast when I am old.  I think a lot of people who get up there in age set a mental block that prevents them from continuing to try. I suppose kids, jobs ,other life issues and time management issues play a major role. Seeing as I am not actually that old yet I cant say for sure. I will be sure to make a blog entry about this 20 year from now when I know first hand (if i remember).

No comments: