Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Coyote Hill 2009

Coyote Hill

Got to the race and it was raining pretty steadily but by the time the race started it was stopped raining and the sun was out. The turn out was the biggest I had ever seen at a root 66 series race (32!!!).  I lined up at the start in the 3rd of 4.5 rows.

The start of this race is a little sketchy.  You ride 100 ft then do a 180 degree turn then ride another 200 ft and go across a bridge that is only one bike wide.  With such a big field it was a mess.  I decided I would run around everyone while they were backed up on the bridge.  So as I approached the bridge I got of the bike and leap across the tinny gap the bridge went over.  It worked!  I passed several people but as I was mounting back onto my bike I fumbled and missed my pedal about 2 times and made everyone stop behind me.  Yea, I was that guy; I hate people like me.

Race went good; I felt good the entire time.  Adam Snyder won; I came in 10th (I think).  Snyder had a good result at the Canada cup race the day before (10th I think).

The guy who came in second Mike Mooradian has also really upped his game this year.  Normally I recognize all the names in the top spots.  It doesn’t change much from year to year but not this year; new names and old names stepping it up.  That and the large turn outs this year has made the racing really unpredictable and interesting.

2 comments:

mooradian said...

Thanks mike I really appreciate that. Look forward to racing with you this summer.

Big Bikes said...

Post-race I thought "I wonder if there was a way to run through that bridge-bottleneck". Glad you tried it.
Maybe next time we can preemptively blog about how we're going to run it, get the other thirty guys to try that tactic, while we ride it.

It's so crazy that it might just work!

-t