Monday, February 27, 2012

Training Ride, Moco Epic, Wheels

For this weeks team training ride Jeff Dickey and I did 50 miles of the Montgomery county epic (MOCO epic) loop.  Dylan couldn't make it this week he was racing the monster cross race.  He came in 4th!.  The trail conditions and weather were great.  Probably the best we have seen since we stared doing these team rides in Dec.  I had one big mechanical that took the steam out of are high paced ride.   My front wheel was tacoed by a corner snuck up on me and I hit it going too fast.
I tried whacking it straight enough o ride, but no luck the tire was still rubbing on the fork. I ended up having to take the tire off and ride the rim the last 5 miles.  The rim wasn't worth trying t fix so i didn't feel to bad about trashing it even more.  It was super loud riding on gravel road, sketchy going through rock gardens, over logs,  and through stream crossings but way better than walking.

Good thing the Stan's No Tubes order is coming in Tuesday.  They are one of the sponsors of the team.  I haven't used any of their wheel sets myself but I hear that they are nice.  I ordered a set of the crest 29ers for my race bike and a set of flow 29ers for my training bike.  The flows are wide (28 mm) all mountain wheels so they should be able to handle XC terrain no problem.


No comments: