Monday, June 14, 2010

Iron Hill Challenge, Mountain King Tires


Two weekends ago I did the iron hill challenge race. I set my bike up with my new continental mountain kings 2.4” (the rear up tubeless).  The sizing is a little off more like a 2.25 but they are tall extenuating the 29er feel; rolling over and absorbing bumps noticeably better than a lower volume tire would.  They run a little sketchy on the road being tall with large nobs but seeing as they are mountain bike tires and they weren’t meant to ride on the road I suppose I cant complain about that (even though I just did).

The race… It was a hot day 90 something degrees and course was super flat and fast.  My new big aggressive tires didn’t suit this course but I’m not one to buy and switch out tires to suit particular races. I think people who do have a mild case of OCD.

I didn’t start very strong but I was slowly passing people and expecting to real in more.  A lap and a half in I got a flat in the rear (the one I was riding tubeless).  I could hear the air leaking out and the sealant wasn’t doing the trick so I put a tube in.  It took me a while to fix it and by the time I did I pretty much gave up on a respectable placing.  I rode the rest of the race with teammate Jay Dodge (who was riding strong, winning the masters men).

I’ve done 6 races so far and have had flats during 3 of them.  I heard Greg lemon would stop and let the air out of his tires when he was doing bad during races.  With the high frequency of flats I imagine people are thinking I am pulling a Greg lemon.

1 comment:

riderx said...

Just when I was considering tubeless!

Waiting to hear the diagnosis...