Sunday, January 3, 2010

Broken Down

On Friday I was going to go for a ride with Joe Whitehair while diving over to the trail head my car was vibrating, giving off some strange smells and all round behaving like there was something wrong with it.  I had noticed the problem before but I though it was just because it was super cold on that occasion.  I didn’t want to risk diving up Hamburg Rd in that condition so I bailed on the ride and went back to my apartment.  I’ve got an appointment at L&B Auto Repair on Monday; hopefully it isn’t anything too serious.

I still had the itch to ride so I rode from my apartment.  I decided to take some back roads over toward watershed trails but I never got there.  As I hit a particularly steep section of Hamburg Rd. and was standing up pulling on the bars I notice that the front end of my bike was flexing way too much.  I stopped and noticed a crack going almost entirely around the down tube.  That explains why it had been making more creaking sounds than normal.

I decided at his point to turn around and go home but I was super paranoid that my frame would give way.  I was 7 miles from home and I didn’t want to walk so I rode my bike like it was made of glass (the thin type they make Christmas ornaments out of not the reinforced bulletproof type or the super thick type used for shark tanks at aquariums).  I could watch the crack on the side of my down tube open then close again slightly with every rotation of the cranks.  It was frightening but I made it home safe.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

God-damn Mike!

Unknown said...

if anyone can break a Ti frame it is you!
Burns and I are planning a trip to Sea Otter, do you want to join?

Anonymous said...

nice-wallpapers

jdnb h ? qi 19

mooradian said...

Mike
A little JB weld and that thing will be up and running, no sweat.

mike joos said...

I looked into it… this link said it doesn’t work…

http://www.rittercnc.com/welding/Will-JB-Weld-work-for-my-bike-frame-10829-.htm

maybe do jb welding then use carbon fabric soaked in epoxy layered on top of that… like how they make bamboo frames...

http://weblogs.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121628758&ps=cprs

but I will probably just end up getting a new frame… thanks for the suggestion.

Anna said...

Your anonymous Chinese fan is rather verbose. I'm really sorry about your frame. And how is your car doing? You can always borrow my truck while I'm at work!

mike joos said...

Yea, I am not sure what the Chinese fan is saying… something good I hope.

Thanks a lot for the offer… but the car is running good again!!!

Fort James said...

You need to read the chinese writing from right to left. Perhaps this is why you were unable to read what he was saying?