Monday, August 24, 2009

Bike For Bovines Race (Hike) 2009

Stonewall Farm,
Keene, NH

I think it was a pretty nice course.  It kinda reminded me of races I’ve done out west in Colorado.  Long gradual climbs and descents but there was more roots and mud than the CO courses I had done.

We did 2 laps on a 13 mile course.  I flatted on the first lap most of the way through.  I had been doing ok up to that point I was in the top 5 (I think).  I fell to last after the flat.  I fixed it and still had motivation to ride fast.  I felt I might be able to pick off one or two other pros before finishing.  Then I flatted a second time half way through the second lap.  I had used up my tube and co2’s so on the first flat so I was unable to fix it.  I think there was something wrong with my rim strip because I had had a flat a few days before on the same wheel.

I felt it was bad luck to get a flat in the dead center of the longest course I have done in years.  If I had known a way to cut the course, DNF and get back to the start/finish faster I would have done that but I didn’t so I walked the course.  I tried running a few times but its pretty annoying hitting the back of your leg on the pedal.  The last few miles were on really flat old rail road trails that I felt comfortable slowly riding on with out messing up my rim.

I came in about 50 min after everyone else.  As soon as I came through the finish officials announced that results were now posted for the men pro category.  It was nice of them to wait for me.

I think 12 pros started , 3 DNFed, I came in 9th and Mike Mooradian won

No comments: